The Apache Maven team would like to announce the release of Maven 3.1.0.
Maven 3.1.0 is available for download.
Maven is a software project management and comprehension tool. Based on the concept of a project object model (POM), Maven can manage a project's build, reporting and documentation from a central place.
Maven 3 aims to ensure backward compatibility with Maven 2, improve usability, increase performance, allow safe embedding, and pave the way to implement many highly demanded features.
The core release is independent of the plugins available. Further releases of plugins will be made separately. See the Plugin List for more information.
We hope you enjoy using Maven! If you have any questions, please consult:
Maven 3.1.0 Release Notes
Maven 3.1.0 is the first official release of the 3.1.x series.
The full list of changes can be found in our issue management system, and is reproduced below.
The use of JSR330 in the core for extensions and in Maven plugins. You can read more about it in the Maven and JSR330 document.
The use of SLF4J in the core for logging. You can read more about it in the Maven and SLF4J document.
The switch in the core from Sonatype Aether to Eclipse Aether.
Known Incompatibilities with Maven 3.0.x
The significant change in Eclipse Aether with respect to API changes and package relocation will likely cause issues with plugins that directly depend on Aether. We are aware of the issues in the Maven Site Plugin, the Maven Dependency Plugin, the Maven Shade Plugin and the Maven Project Info Reports Plugin, and have fixed them in recent releases. But this is a significant change and is likely to cause issues in any plugin that depends on the now deprecated Sonatype Aether. In the external plugin ecosystem, it is known that Tycho, the Android Maven Plugin and the NetBeans Module Plugin are also affected: the plugin developers are aware of this issue and will release a new version of the plugin to address it.
We maintain a list of affected plugins with fixed version: please report if you find another plugin not yet in this list.
Release Notes - Maven - Version 3.1.0 (since 3.0.5 only)
- [MNG-3131] - Error message is misleading if a missing plugin parameter is of a type like List
- [MNG-5016] - A mirror's layout setting should default to 'default' since thats' the only layout supported lay in maven 3
- [MNG-5206] - plexus container never disposed
- [MNG-5208] - Parallel (-T option) multi module build fires wrong "project failed event"
- [MNG-5209] - MavenProject.getTestClasspathElements can return null elements
- [MNG-5212] - DefaultPluginDescriptorCache does not retain pluginDescriptor dependencies
- [MNG-5214] - Dependency resolution substitutes g:a:v:jar for j:a:v:something-else when something-else isn't in the reactor
- [MNG-5233] - ArtifactMetadataRetrievalException from org.apache.maven.artifact.metadata is not anymore binary compatible.
- [MNG-5258] - localRepository in settings.xml does not handle ~ as home.dir
- [MNG-5261] - upgrade wagon version to 2.3 to fix issues with redirect
- [MNG-5270] - README.bootstrap.txt says "Ant 1.6.5 or later" BUT 1.8 or later is needed
- [MNG-5280] - Inconsistent order of repositories and pluginRepositories from profiles in settings (regression Maven 3)
- [MNG-5289] - -Dmaven.repo.local not honored
- [MNG-5312] - MavenProject.getParent intolerably slow when import scope used heavily
- [MNG-5313] - Unnecessary DefaultModelBuilder.build overload
- [MNG-5314] - DefaultModelValidator misuses String.matches
- [MNG-5336] - Descriptor Reference for settings.xml is incorrect
- [MNG-5387] - Add ability to replace an artifact in mid-build
- [MNG-5390] - mvn -rf (no argument) results in NPE
- [MNG-5395] - logger name for plugins should not be DefaultMavenPluginManager
- [MNG-5396] - logger name for execution events should not be MavenCli
- [MNG-5398] - scriptSourceDirectory in superpom is not prefixed with /usr/home/cmsslave/slave15/maven-site-staging/build/trunk/
- [MNG-5403] - tar.gz release artifacts have wrong permissions on directories
- [MNG-5418] - Can't activate a profile by checking for the presence of a file in $myProperty
- [MNG-5430] - use wagon 2.4
- [MNG-5444] - ModelSource API is not sufficient to resolve project hierachies
- [MNG-5445] - Missing PathTranslator @Requirement in org.apache.maven.project.interpolation.StringSearchModelInterpolator
- [MNG-5456] - Maven skips modules and reports success if parallel build encounters java.lang.Error
- [MNG-5477] - "malformed POM" warning issued when no version in reporting section
- [MNG-4505] - use slf4j to control various logging frameworks
- [MNG-5181] - New resolution from local repository is very confusing
- [MNG-5239] - Maven integration developers would like to be able to override the maven logging appender.
- [MNG-5245] - upgrade default plugins versions
- [MNG-5338] - Accept a directory with -f/--file
- [MNG-5350] - improve @threadSafe error message: tell which goal
- [MNG-5399] - Upgrade version of maven-release-plugin in superpom to 2.3.2
- [MNG-5400] - Upgrade version of maven-dependency-plugin in superpom to 2.5
- [MNG-5402] - Better build number for git
- [MNG-5480] - document in POM descriptor reference how urls are interpolated from parent
- [MNG-5482] - Catch NoClassDefFoundError org/sonatype/aether
- [MNG-519] - Timestamps on messages
- [MNG-5306] - for IDE embedding have ways of collecting model problems without failing the process
- [MNG-5343] - Allow the use of JSR330 annotation in Maven extensions and plugins
- [MNG-5344] - Allow the SLF4J loggers to be @Injected
- [MNG-5354] - Integrate Eclipse Aether 0.9.0.M2
- [MNG-5380] - Cannot preserve whitespace in Maven plugin configuration
- [MNG-5381] - Restore MavenSession.getRepositoryCache()
- [MNG-5382] - Add an IT for @Inject used in plugins
- [MNG-5386] - Dispose of ClassRealms after invocation to prevent out of Permgen errors
- [MNG-5388] - Restore embedded integration tests
- [MNG-5391] - Update the default WAR plugin version to avoid version 2.3
- [MNG-5393] - Look at Sonar's use of SLF4J and Logback
- [MNG-5397] - Use SLF4J for logging
- [MNG-5407] - Change MavenITmng1830ShowVersionTest to account for SHA1 as version
- [MNG-5279] - add CLI options to documentation
- [MNG-5365] - Replace Aether's deprecated ConfigurationProperties with ConfigUtils
- [MNG-5372] - remove classes that were added during Maven 3 alpha and beta but were deprecated before 3.0 final release
- [MNG-5373] - Document the usage and benefits of JSR330
- [MNG-5374] - Fix transfer listener after the JSR330 merge
- [MNG-5375] - Document use of SLF4J
- [MNG-5376] - Account for changes between the Apple and Oracle JDKs on OSX
- [MNG-5453] - Update Maven 3 build to use Eclipse/Sisu
- [MNG-5370] - separate artifact-handlers configuration from plugin bindings to default lifecycle
- [MNG-5461] - rename _maven.repositories tracking file to _remote.repositories